Netflix’s Stranger Things, created by Chapman graduates Matt and Ross Duffer, is about to have its third season release on July 4th. The show first premiered in July of 2016, and by 2018 it had become the most streamed show of all time. With the new trailer having amassed more than 24 million views in two weeks, the Stranger Things hype is starting up again. Take the quiz below to see how much you remember about what happened to the residents of Hawkins in the first two seasons!
1. What state does the show take place in?
2. Which song do Will and Jonathan bond over in Season One?
a. David Bowie – Heroes
b. A-ha – Take on Me
c. Duran Duran – Hungry Like the Wolf
d. The Clash – Should I Stay or Should I Go?
3. In Season One, when Eleven is watching TV at Mike’s house, what triggers a flashback for her?
a. A Rubik’s Cube commercial
b. A Cabbage Patch Kids commercial
c. A Transformers commercial
d. A Coca-Cola commercial
4. Who houses and cares for Eleven in Season Two?
b. Mrs. Byers
c. Chief Hopper
5. Which of these members of the main series cast is not American-born?
a. Natalia Dyer
b. Dacre Montgomery
c. Sadie Sink
d. Winona Ryder
6. Which episode has the lowest IMDB user rating from either season?
a. Season 1, Chapter 1: The Vanishing of Will Byers
b. Season 1, Chapter 4: The Body
c. Season 2, Chapter 1: MADMAX
d. Season 2, Chapter 7: The Lost Sister
7. What tool does Nancy use to expel the Mind Flayer from Will?
a. A fire poker
b. A baseball bat
c. A pair of tongs
d. Her hands
8. How many seasons have the Duffer Brothers confirmed they plan to make in total?
9. In Dungeons and Dragons, the boys’ favorite game, each player needs to choose a class, which defines that character’s strengths, weaknesses, and abilities. Throughout the show, the kids each refer to themselves as a class from Dungeons and Dragons. What class does Max refer to herself as?
10. Which one of these pairings do not slow dance at the Snow Ball at the end of Season Two?
a. Jonathan and Nancy
b. Mike and Eleven
c. Dustin and Nancy
d. Lucas and Max
11. Which character does Billy flirt with in the Season Two finale?
b. Mrs. Byers
c. Mrs. Wheeler
12. What was Steve Harrington’s high school nickname?
a. Smooth Steve
b. King Steve
c. Lord Steve
d. Steve the Suave
1. A. Indiana. The show takes place in the town of Hawkins, Indiana, a city that doesn’t exist! The show was actually filmed in Georgia.
2. D. The Clash – Should I Stay or Should I Go? The song was originally released in 1982 on The Clash’s fifth studio album Combat Rock.
3. D. A Coca-Cola Commercial. The scene takes place in Season One, Chapter 3: “Holly, Jolly.”
4. C. Chief Hopper. Many fans thought that the pairing of Hopper and Eleven worked well together, as did the Duffer Brothers.
5. B. Dacre Montgomery. Montgomery was born in Perth, Australia. In addition to Montgomery, Charlie Heaton (Jonathan Byers) is British and Millie Bobby Brown (Eleven) is Spanish-born to British parents. Despite all three of them having accents when they speak in real life, they play Americans on the show.
6. D. Season 2, Chapter 7: The Lost Sister. This episode is almost universally disliked by fans due to the fact that it distracted from the primary storyline of the show to explore a side plot.
7. A. A fire poker. The scene takes place during the action packed Season Two finale “The Gate.”
8. B. Four. The Duffer Brothers confirmed this in an interview with Vulture.“I don’t know if we can justify something bad happening to them once a year,” Matt said.
9. B. Zoomer. The Zoomer is one of the archetypes of the Rogue base class, according to D&D Beyond.
10. A. Jonathan and Nancy. Though the two were linked romantically throughout the second season, Nancy danced with Dustin instead to lift his spirits after he had been rejected by a different girl.
11. C. Mrs. Wheeler. The scene instantly became a fan favorite, and many viewers are hoping for more of Billy and Mrs. Wheeler in Season Three.
12. B. King Steve. The name is thought to be an homage to Stephen King, whom the Duffer Brothers took inspiration from while creating the show.
How many did you get right?
1-4 answers right: You’re a Stranger Things novice. Have you ever watched the show? Check it out some time.
5-7 answers right: You didn’t do poorly, but a lot of things are still strange to you. Consider giving the show a rewatch.
8-10 answers right: In fan-speak you are what is known as a “tribe member.” You really know your Stranger Things stuff. Good job!
11-12 answers right: Are you one of the Duffer Brothers?