Former Chapman students describe their reason for leaving

Photo illustration courtesy of Pexels.

Chapman University’s beautiful southern California campus is the perfect college experience to many of its eight thousand students. Unfortunately not everyone sticks around to shake President Struppa’s hand and receive their diploma.

Out of the freshman class that entered in 2013, 71.8 percent of the students graduated in 2017 after completing the expected four years. For reasons ranging from unlikable classmates to college reputation, the other 28.2 percent did not.

Former Chapman student Adrienne Aponte decided to cut her experience short for several reasons. Aponte, was a business major at Chapman and transferred to Brandeis University after the end of her freshman year.

“The main reason was because I was homesick. I am from Florida, so being six hours away from home by plane with a three hour time difference made it very difficult to see family,” Aponte said.

Aponte also felt like Chapman didn’t give her the education that she desired. Double majoring in business and economics, Aponte desired an education that put more of an emphasis on the two.

“I decided I wanted to attend a school that was well known for their business program,” Aponte said. “Chapman is very well know for film, and I wanted that same kind of label and attention but for my intended major,” Aponte said.

Aponte said she doesn’t regret her decision to transfer and enjoys being back in the city she loves.

“I love living in the city and I enjoy the winter weather. In the future, I definitely see myself going to grad school up here in the New England area,” Aponte said.

According to Aponte, being close to other prestigious schools such as Harvard, MIT, and Babson heightened her business education.

“I get the opportunity to take business related courses with their programs, and it’s a great way to meet other professors and make great connections,” Aponte said.

An anonymous student attended Chapman University for a little longer than Aponte, deciding to leave after his first semester of sophomore year. The student attended Chapman as a business major and is originally from Lake Oswego, Oregon.

“I felt distant from my family and friends who all lived in Oregon,” Hanson said. “A lot of my friends went to the University of Oregon, and I felt like I was always sort of meant to end up there,” Hanson said.

According to the anonymous student, Chapman’s rigorous business program , also contributed to his decision to leave.

“I was behind in a lot of my classwork by the end of my freshman year, so when I started sophomore year I was super stressed out,” the student said. “I feel like I should have taken my academics a little more seriously,” the student said said.

Another former student named Scott Harris’ said Chapman felt like a lonely extension of his high school experience, so he left after his first semester.

The location and size of the campus didn’t live up to what he had expected from an institution of higher education.

“There’s no college town” Harris said. “The school is too small, but the campus size is even smaller in proportion to student body which is crowded.”

As for that student body, it has its share of unpleasant individuals according to Harris.

“Some of the people are extremely stuck up,” Harris said, “they weren’t very cultured and considerate of other people.”

Chapman’s location and some of the community fueled his decision to leave, and although a run-in with depression was in the mix, it wasn’t needed for things to have happened the way they did.

“Mentally I wasn’t in a good place to be in school, but I probably would have came to the same conclusion about Chapman regardless,” Harris said.

Greta Nagy & Julian Khvang

Leave a Reply